We are experiencing a high volume of calls and emails requesting priority for the Covid vaccine.
We appreciate this is a very worrying time for all our patients and thought it would be helpful to explain our position.
At the moment we have been instructed by the Department of Health and Social Care to concentrate our efforts on the over 50 year old patients, nursing homes, care staff and frontline healthcare professionals. We have already vaccinated thousands of patients within the West Devon area by joining with Yelverton and Tavyside surgeries and supplies are regularly being delivered.
We have been instructed to move on through the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) groups which are outlined below:
- Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
- All those 80 years of age and over Frontline health and social care workers
- All those 75 years of age and over
- All those 70 years of age and over Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
- All those 65 years of age and over
- All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
- All those 60 years of age and over
- All those 55 years of age and over
- All those 50 years of age and over
The targets to vaccinate all those in the above groups have been met.
For the month of April we are concentrating on giving the 2nd doses that are due for those that had their 1st vaccine in January and early February.
We have an enthusiastic team and stand ready to vaccinate patients alongside running our normal day to day work, examples of which are; telephone calls to patients, processing prescriptions, seeing patients face to face, home visits, referrals to specialists, taking blood samples and nurse appointments for baby immunisations and smears.
We would be grateful if you would wait for us to contact you when we have the vaccine available.
We are hoping that from May onwards we will be instructed to move on to the 40-49 age group.